Recipe Source: My aunt Frenny
For the green masala:
- King Fish (Surmai)- 4-5 slices (palm sized)
- Basmati Rice - 3 cups
- Shaan Fish Biryani Masala - 3/4th of a packet
- Curds - 1 box (250ml)
- Onions - 2 (sliced, for frying)
- Onions - 2 ( sliced, for garnishing)
- Bay leaves - 3
- Kadipatta (curry leaves) - 1 stalk
- Cinnamon - 1 stick (about 2 inches long)
- Cloves - 5-6
- Cashewnuts - 1 handful (halved & roasted)
- Raisins - 1 handful
To be pureed:
- Coriander leaves - 1 handful
- Mint leaves - 6-7 stalks
- Cumin/jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Garlic - 6-7 cloves
- Green chillies - 3
- Tamarind - 1 marble size ball
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Coriander leaf stalk - finely chopped - about 1tsp
- Ghee for frying
- Salt to taste
1. Clean the fish with salt, vinegar & turmeric & set aside for 15mins. Wash & then apply plain red chilly powder, salt & vinegar & set aside for 30mins. Fry the fish slightly & once cooled remove the skin & bones carefully so that the pieces are not broken
2. Beat the curds to ensure there are no lumps & add the Shaan biryani masala, mix well & keep aside
3. In a pan, heat ghee & fry the onions (for garnishing) until golden brown. Remove on a tissue to absorb excess oil so that the onion is crisp. In the same pan roast the cashewnuts, remove & then fry the raisins.
For the masala:
1. Heat ghee & add the kadipatta. Next, fry the onions & when they turn pale, add the biryani & curd mixture & fry well. Add bay leaves & fry well.
2. Add the green masala & fry till the colour changes to pale brownish green
3. Add the tomato puree & fry well
4. Add water if required or if the gravy is too thick
5. Add the fried ish & shake lightly to cover the fish with gravy
For the rice:
1. Wash the rice & soak for 15-20mins. Heat 1tbsp ghee & fry cinnamon & cloves & then add the well drained rice. Fry on slow fire until the rice feels heavy (this takes about 5-7mins).
2. In another vessel boil 4 & 1/2 cups of water & add the boiling water to the rice. 3. Add salt to taste, lime juice & coriander stalk pieces. Wait for the mixture to bubble while boiling & immediately switch off the fire & cover with a lid & then with a cloth & tie it. You can also keep weight on the lid just to ensure that it is completely sealed & no steam escapes. The rice takes 7-8 minutes to cook. You can mix the rice once & re-seal the vessel.
For the layering:
In a serving dish make a layer of rice, fish gravy & garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts & raisins. You may sprinkle chopped mint leaves if desired. Repeat the layering process till all the rice & gravy are utilized.
Serve with curd raitha with diced cucumber.