Bangde Bafat (Mackerel Bafat Style)
Recipe Source: Sambardo by J.B Lobo
- Mackrels - 4 large
- Onions - 2
- Long red chillies - 5
- Coriander - 1tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Peppercorns - 4
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 2tsps (optional - this gives the gravy a good texture and also increases the quantity of the gravy)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 3 flakes
- Green chillies - 2 (optional -only if you prefer your gravy extra spicy)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Clean and cut the mackrels into 3 pieces (if large) or 2 pieces and drain the water
- Grind the red chillies, peppercorns, turmeric, coriander, cummin, 1 onion and grated coconut to a fine paste
- Slice the onion, finely chop the ginger & garlic and green chillies (optional)
- Heat oil & fry the the onions, ginger, garlic & green chillies one by one until you get a nice aroma
- Fry the masala well & add vinegar, salt to taste & some water to make the gravy of medium thick consistency. Boil well.
- Add the fish and cook until done.
- Serve hot with boiled or white rice.
Labels: Catholic Cuisine, Fish, Mangalorean Specials, South Indian