One Bowl Coconut Cake

I love simple cakes - the most satisfactory ones are those that are not only simple to make in terms of simplicity and availability of ingredients, preparation time and method but also taste wonderfully simple. I also love to bake with fruits, but sometimes you have to get the quantities and measurements so right that if you daydream your cake becomes a flop. Well, since I learnt to bake on my own with endless browsing on the net for answers, I have taken many shots at creating the perfect cake and ended up with burnt, undone, flat or over puffed up cakes. For most of the disasters I blame my microwave oven for mistaken settings or the OTG which came with wrong instructions on the manual. But then, each experience brought with it a lot of learnings. Cooking and baking is a delightfully interesting journey of learning new things. You can create so many marvellous things with the same set of ingredients.


However, as much as I love baking, I dislike some tasks such as powdering the sugar when I run out of caster sugar or beating the eggs and sugar with a manual whisk and waiting for the mixture to turn pale. Slaving over a cake with too many ingredients and too many steps to be followed while standing in a oven hot kitchen is a turn off for me so when I find a recipe that requires minimum effort I jump with joy & try it almost immediately.



This particular recipe was shared by my dear reader Cynthia out of her tried & tested recipe collection. When I saw the title - it said - one bowl coconut cake, I thought that probably it was one of those mug cakes. But later I realised that all you need is a single mixing bowl - everything goes straight into it and then into the baking tin! Makes life so much more simple when you don't have a million dishes to clean right after a marathon baking session. This recipe has barely any hard-to-find ingredients (it doesn't even need vanilla extract!) I bookmarked it to be made today as a welcome-back-home cake for my hubby who has been travelling this week. It's also a sweet trap for him to take over babysitting for our lil son so that I can go shopping for a good few hours tomorrow! Ha ha!


One Bowl Coconut Cake
print this
Adapted from NZ's Favourite Recipe
Yield: One 9" round cake
You Need:
Method:
1. Sift the flour with baking powder and salt. Keep it aside
2. In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except the flour and mix well. Mix the flour in parts so that it is well incorporated.


3. Line a 9" round tin with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 45 minutes
4. Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before inverting on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or slather it with some Nutella (Chocolate & Hazlenut spread) and enjoy it - If you love eating 'Bounty' the Coconut Chocolate bar - you will love this cake!

Labels: , , ,