After the festivities, it is definitely time to detox :-) Time to bring back the simplicity and routine in our lives - at least as far as food is concerned. So why not try a new vegetarian dish this week?
This simple recipe that was tried a couple of months ago has been in my drafts has been patiently waiting to see the light of day. My co-sister Sumana in Mangalore made it when we were invited to their place for dinner. Sumana is a great cook and her spectacular star recipes are - well, I just can't decide whether they are vegetarian or non vegetarian - I like them all. But since I have a super special corner for vegetarian dishes, I simply loved this one for its sheer simplicity.
This is a dish you can put together under 30 mins and there are no special ingredients required if you have mushrooms and frozen peas handy. It tastes great with hot chapathis and if you fancy you can give it a twist of your own by adding additional ingredients (if you have the time to elaborate on it). So why don't you give it a try while I go and finish all my pending work? (When routine hits back - it hits hard! - sigh!)
Peas & Mushroom Kurma
Prep time: 10mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Serves 2
- 100gm green peas shelled (I used frozen ones)
- 150gms button mushrooms
- 1 big tomato
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 " fresh ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of red chilli powder
- pinch of garam masala powder
- a sprinkling of fresh pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 2tbsp butter or oil
- salt to taste
1. Wash and cut mushrooms into quarters. Grind the tomato, onion, ginger, green chilli and coriander leaves into a fine paste. Reserve the masala water
2. Heat butter or oil in a pan , toss in the bay leaf and fry for a couple of seconds. Add the ground masala and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms, peas, salt & sugar. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved water and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the gravy is of coating consistency.
3. Sprinkle pepper powder, chilli powder, garam masala and stir. Serve immediately with chapathis
Labels: 30mins or less, Easy Vegetarian Dishes, Peas and Mushroom Kurma, Vegetarian Curries