Mocha Brownies

It's brownie time folks! 

As the years go by I realise that I am better at baking than anything else. And I am definitely better at clicking food pics and writing posts than actually cooking. The whole idea of cleaning, cutting & cooking and then doing a mountain of dishes is no longer appealing to me (it never ever appealed to me) what with two bawling babies - well, the older one is 5 now and has thrust a fresh set of challenges in front of me.



Poor eating habits that drive me up the wall coupled with an actual baby who is slowly displaying her true characteristics - well, err, the naughtier side of an erstwhile very quiet baby doll. So yes, something that is definitely calming for their poor mom is her tryst with baking. 


I was baking brownies after a long time and I quite enjoyed baking these babies. Brownies with a hint of coffee made them so wonderfully delicious and homely - I totally love the aroma of coffee and these brownies filled my kitchen and my entire house with the heady aroma of freshly brewed coffee - even the next day!


Something as rich in taste as the brownie always calls for a simple accompaniment - a glass of milk. For the next two days I only had a glass of milk during tea time instead of my usual cuppa - you can't possibly have a mug of coffee with these brownies - it would be just too much - but again this is just my opinion. But why two days you may ask! Well, the mister was travelling and I had lots of time to kill. Well, not really. I just had the baker's itch - you know that feeling when its post lunch and you are browsing through a really good book on cakes & bakes and you want to jump out of your bed (or wherever you are sitting) to go make these? That's what I call the baker's itch. 


I know who else is having the baker's itch - a reader turned friend Usha! - So dearie, I hope you get to make these soon for your babies and enjoy them too. However, since it contains a wee bit of coffee - please use your discretion as to whether you want to serve them to your kids


Mocha brownies can lift a boring glass of milk! Go make them today!


About the brownies
Enough said already. Go make them!

Mocha Brownies
Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 30mins | Servings 12

Ingredients:
Method:
1. Grease and line a 7 or 8" (20cms) square cake tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F.
2. In a double boiler (see notes) melt the chopped chocolate & butter. Keep aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl cream the sugar & eggs together until light & fluffy. Fold in the chocolate & butter mixture and the cooled coffee and blend well till everything is mixed. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture. Toss in the chopped nuts & fold gently. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 mins or till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, turn the cake over onto a wire mesh/rack and peel off the baking paper.
5. Cool completely, cut into squares & serve.

Recipe adapted from: Everyday Muffins & Bakes

Labels: , , ,