Although I had heard a lot about mug cakes I was never in favour of - or rather, never considered it to be a real 'cake'. It's not that I am a baking snob. I am no genius baker and baking is still a learning process for me, yet I never gave the mug cake a chance. However, when there is a house full of kids who get ultra bored during vacations the mind of a mommy wanders in search of something fun to do - a summer holiday project that can be made & eaten in 5 minutes flat - well, yes, I am counting the prep time as well.
This cake is really very simple to make and has become a big hit at home and among the people I shared this recipe with. I have adapted it to suit my tastes. I had never eaten or made a mug cake before and after several tries this one seems pretty good to go. Especially because it is eggless! Well, I personally don't prefer baking without eggs. Not because I am a carnivore but the results have never been satisfactory. And yes, I know that there are plenty of alternatives to eggs but I haven't tried any of them. I should.
For now, do try this simple mug cake. It's very very chocolatey if that's how you prefer it. But if you are not such a big fan of chocolate and would like to eliminate the excess chocolate, skip the Nutella and replace it with peanut butter or jam. However, since these two are on the extreme ends of the spectrum of flavours you will need to adjust the sugar accordingly.
My verdict - a great 'snack' if you want to kill time on a rainy day or if you are stuck indoors on a hot summer day. Great to keep young ones engaged and feel oh-so-productive. Great to banish midnight blues/cravings for something good to eat. So do give it a shot & let me know how you liked it.
And hey, it's been a while since its around, but I do have a 'Contact Me' page right on top of this post, so do leave me a message and let me know what you think of this recipe (or any other). You can also email me at email@example.com. Thanks for all those of you who have mailed in - I will reply to each of them slowly but surely :-) Also, I have been nominated for the Indiblogger - Indian Blogger Awards 2013, so you could click to 'recommend' me or write a comment and let me know if and how you like my blog! This requires a Facebook login though. Thanks a bunch in advance! :-)
One Minute Eggless Mug Cake
Prep time: 2 mins | Bake time: 1 min | Serves: 1
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (maida)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons mini choco chips (add an extra teaspoon if you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon Nutella (or jam or peanut butter) * see notes
1. In a microwave safe tea mug (160ml) add all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt & choco chips, mix with a spoon and then add in the wet ingredients - milk, oil, Nutella (or jam or peanut butter) and stir well so that all ingredients are uniformly mixed and there are no lumps.
2. Place it in the microwave oven and microwave for 1 minute. Depending on the type of microwave used you may require to add another 5- 10 seconds to the bake time. Mine took exactly 1 min 10 seconds.
3. Remove and allow to cool a bit before digging in! If you are serving this to kids please note that the mug and the cake will be very very hot so be careful!
If you are using jam or peanut butter instead of Nutella you need to adjust the sugar accordingly as peanut butter contains less sugar and jam may contain more.