Mushrooms in a Chilli Cashew Gravy



A few of my recipes have been in draft for way too long. This is because I love to try out something new every day and depending on the occasion or my mood the new ones supercede the older ones. I am going to make a genuine effort to post those recipes first. So guess what kind of recipe was long due on my blog ? A vegetarian one of course! It's been ages since I posted a 'pure veg' recipe.

I had tried this recipe when I was in Mumbai, so that's a good 5-6 months ago, before the frenzy of relocating to Dubai engulfed me completely and life was still going on at a normal pace.
Since mushrooms are my absolute favourite among all other veggies I was keen to try this recipe as soon as I had read it in a magazine. Although I am a lover of vegetarian dishes I don't know to make too many varieties. I usually prefer to eat veggies as sides to chapathis and this dish was simply perfect! All of us thoroughly enjoyed this preparation & I would urge you to give it a try once. However, do note that the cashew base for this curry is really rich in terms of calories and may not be ideal for weight watchers & the diet conscious. If poppy seeds are available where you live, I suggest you substitute it as required. You will get the same consistency & thickness for the gravy with fewer calories.


Mushrooms in a Chilli Cashew Gravy
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 10mins | Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
Method:
1. Wash the mushrooms well until the surfaces are rid of any soil. You may peel the thin top layer if you wish. Cut them into quarters & keep aside.
2. Grind the green chillies, 1/2 onion, coriander leaves & cashewnuts using 2-3 tablespoons of water to make a thick paste.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and saute the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes till they shrivel a bit but are still juicy. Remove & keep aside.
4. Add the remaining oil and fry the finely chopped onion till pale and then add the garlic paste and saute for a few seconds and then add the turmeric powder, garam masala, pepper and cumin powders and fry on a slow flame for another minute. Add the ground paste and continue to fry.
5. Toss in the sauteed mushrooms, salt to taste & mix. Add a little water to make a thick gravy and simmer for a minute. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle lime juice & chopped coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with rice or rotis.

Notes:
The original recipe calls for 15 cashew nuts but I reduced them as they are high in calories & too rich. If you prefer a rich gravy you may add upto 15-20 cashew nuts.

Adapted from Food for Swaps

Labels: , , , ,